Audio: Get Excited… and Let It Show! [Time – 4:05, File Size – 3.8 MB]
“Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful, and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson – The Selected Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson
So, is your team enthusiastic about your project? Are they energized and eager to come to work each day?
Reflect on these questions:
- When it comes to my current projects, what inspires or excites me?
- Do I stop to notice or become aware of my enthusiasm often? Do I savor that little wave of enthusiasm or simply dismiss it and get on to my next chore?
- How can I let my enthusiasm show? How can I express it… share it?
Ask your team:
- What excites or inspires you about our project?
- How is this project — and your role in it — making the world a little better?
- How can you let your enthusiasm show? How can you share it?
- When you are telling your spouse or your kids or your parents about this project, what can you tell them that would help them share your enthusiasm for it?
Project Manager Challenges
- Look for all the ways that your project is amazing or is producing an amazing set of results or is “socially redeemable” or just plain fun to be part of.
- Observe your team’s small moments of enthusiasm and build on them by agreeing and adding your own expressions of enthusiasm.
- Find little private (and big public!) ways to celebrate your major successes and your small achievements
and let everyone know how excited you are about what’s going on.
- Go to PhilosophersNotes and get the full notes and MP3 on The Selected Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Get the Essential Emerson CD, narrated by Archibald Macleish, from LearnOutLoud.com.
- Check out The Selected Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson on Amazon
- And in the Amazon Kindle Store: